Tuesday, January 26, 2021

COVID & the Classroom

 We all know that COVID guidelines have changed the way our classrooms look and operate.  HUGE change for me!  I have always allowed my students to choose their seat.  They can change it throughout the day.  Now we have to have a seating chart and assigned seating.  WHEW! This was hard for me!  Obviously my students don't know any different, since they have never been in a classroom such as this.  

We have always had tables in the classroom.  I have a confession....I hated them.  Like..HATED.  This year, our district required dividers on any table that had more than one student.  Terrible dividers.  Nope.  I took the opportunity to ditch the tables.  GONE!  Instead.....

I went full flexible seating!  The foam squares mark their "space."  Each morning, students choose the type of seat they want and the type of tray.  Student materials are housed in 3-drawer units spaced across the classroom.  Students keep their same space so their materials stay with them until naptime.  At naptime students stack their seats, trays, and squares, and their space then becomes the spot for their napmat.  Squares, trays, and seats are all sanitized at the end of the day, ready for the next student!  

It's very different, but we are making it work.  Normally we start school mid-August.  COVID pushed us back a couple weeks.  Before we had a chance to start school, we were hit by Hurricane Laura.  Our area, and school, sustained significant damage.  97% of the schools in our district received so much damage, reopening was not possible for weeks.  Before we could reopen, we were hit with Hurricane Delta.  October 19th was our first day of school....FINALLY!  Thankfully my students have been F2F since we started, with minimal disruptions.  Hoping for a non-eventful rest of the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID & the Classroom

 We all know that COVID guidelines have changed the way our classrooms look and operate.  HUGE change for me!  I have always allowed my stud...