Thursday, July 5, 2018

In the Beginning...

I completed my student teaching in a fourth grade math and science classroom.  After I completed my student teaching, a principal friend called and asked me to teach kindergarten for the rest of the year.  I laughed.  I tried to convince her that I could not teach kindergarten because I was only certified for first through fifth grades.  She promised that it would only be for the remainder of the school year, and then she would move me to second grade.  I reluctantly agreed.  Boy, was I in for a surprise...

As in....Surprise!  They need VERY explicit instructions!  HA!  I was so unprepared.  I assumed too much.  I assumed they knew their letter sounds, or simple three-letter words, or how to properly use glue sticks and scissors and paint....oh, the list goes on.  It was definitely a culture shock for me!  In the end, I found I loved kindergarten.  I loved it so much that I raced down to the testing center and added my certification for early childhood.  This will be my third full year of teaching kindergarten.  I can honestly say that every day is an adventure and I usually need a nap by the time I get home in the evenings, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COVID & the Classroom

 We all know that COVID guidelines have changed the way our classrooms look and operate.  HUGE change for me!  I have always allowed my stud...